W+CO has designed renovations and additions to several historic boathouses on Boathouse Row in Philadelphia, PA. The Pennsylvania Barge Club (#4 Boathouse Row) was built in 1861 but was originally not much more than a storage shed for the club’s rowing shells. Several years later, Philadelphia architect Louis Hickman was hired to design an enlarged, two-story Victorian-style stone building with more spaces for socializing and relaxation. In 1912, the Club hired C.E. Schermerhorn to add a second floor of timber and stucco. W+CO was more recently hired to design two rows of porches / decks on the first and second floors overlooking the Schuylkill River. The double deck system gives members an outdoor space for hosting events and parties and for viewing regattas and rowing practices. The decks were designed to harmonize with the brown and white timber style of the historic boathouse. W+CO also designed interior renovations by upgrading finishes and replacing windows to make the Club more attractive and energy efficient. Other Boathouse projects include the Malta Boathouse, Fairmount Rowing Association, and a new Temple University Boathouse.