malta boat househistoric
The Malta Boat Club (#9 Boathouse Row) is a historic rowing club on the famous Boathouse Row in Philadelphia, PA. The Malta boathouse was built in 1873, in conjunction with the Vesper Boat Club, and expanded in 1880. In 1901, brothers George and William Hewitt (former partners of Frank Furness) designed more substantial additions including a third story to make Malta the tallest boathouse on Boathouse Row. W+CO completed major renovations and restorations to this Tudor / Victorian historic sports club. Extensive damage to the stone and timber façade was repaired and restored, and balconies were bolstered, improved and painted. On the inside, all spaces were renovated to repair problems and add modern amenities, while still maintaining the historic ambience. Renovated spaces include the Club’s social rooms, locker rooms and boat storage areas.